Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
In Minnesota, there’s a silly tradition where people put zucchini in their neighbors mailboxes, cars, and leave them on their doorstep because they’re so plentiful towards the end of summer. We received a large zucchini from my grandparents this year, and decided to put it to good use in the most delicious bread recipe. I’ll be honest, this rich bread is more like cake, but it’s got a vegetable so that makes it a little healthy, right? That’s what I tell myself, anyway!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This rich, chocolaty bread is made using ingredients you likely have at home, along with a cup and a half of shredded zucchini. We had such a large zucchini that even after making this bread, we have enough left over to make two more loaves. That’s perfect, considering our first loaf was gone by the end of that first day! I’m not joking when I say that this bread is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
I’ve found that making new recipes with our daughter is a great thing to integrate in with homeschooling. She learns about basic cooking skills, as well as a little math and reading. She’s really enjoying the time we spend in the kitchen, and we all enjoy the fruits of our labor!
For this recipe, you’ll mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, and then mix them all together with the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. We use our Ninja food processor to shred the zucchini, after peeling it, slicing it in half, and scraping out the seeds.
The zucchini gives this bread it’s moist texture, and it would not be the same without it! And with two types of chocolate (chips and cocoa powder), you can just about imagine how rich it is! Check out and print the full recipe below to share this bread with your family.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the sides and bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together eggs, melted butter, oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- Stir shredded zucchini and ¾ cup of the chocolate chips into the mix.
- Pour batter into 9x5 bread pan.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup chocolate chips on top of the bread.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and allow your bread to cool in the pan on a wire cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Use a knife to separate the bread from the edges of the pan, and place bread on a wire cooling rack after removing from the bread pan.
- Enjoy! We like to spread a little salted butter on our double chocolate zucchini bread!
Hi there! I’m Amber, a 30 year old wife and mom of two from central Minnesota. I love to travel and to be outside with my kids anywhere the weather is warm! When I have a spare free moment, I love to read and scrapbook as well as binge-watch Netflix long after the kids are asleep. I drink too much Caribou Coffee and have a real sweet tooth but also try very hard to consume organic foods and use eco-friendly, fair trade products as much as possible. I also love socializing and sharing about my favorite products!
This post currently has 32 responses.